- [00:00] - Intro
- [00:49] - Recent changes in Ecommerce
- [02:16] - Facebook’s acquisition of Kustomer
- [05:15] - What's new with Gorgias?
- [06:50] - Transforming Gorgias into a platform
- [08:05] - Generating gift cards in one-click
- [09:00] - Where to find Philippe
- Philippe Roireau’s LinkedIn: https://ca.linkedin.com/in/philipperoireau
- Philippe Roireau’s Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Gorgias Website: https://www.gorgias.com/
- Gorgias is an Ecommerce helpdesk that makes customer service into a profit center.
- They currently support 12,000 - 13,000 customer service reps to do their task.
- During Black Friday, the number of customer service reps went up to close to 20,000.
- One of their big plans in 2021 is transforming Gorgias into a platform through an app marketplace.
- They are building an app marketplace and getting developers to provide integrations and their own rented services through the platform.
- For example, for return platforms or what the customer service team interacts with when they want to process a return for your client now having that type of native integration in Gorgias.
- They are closely working with the return platforms that are in the Shopify ecosystem to bring them on board and develop new integrations to augment the potential that the agents can manage and Gorgias directly.
- They also plan to generate custom gift cards in one click by the customer service agent from Gorgias through Rise.ai for seamless operation.
- There is so much movement right now in the Ecommerce space. The Ecommerce SAAS space and merchants are crushing it all around.
- With the pandemic, the growth channels of brands are being tested.
- iOS is restricting Facebook Pixel in 2021 so Facebook gasping for air on how they will prove attribution.
- It seems like Facebook is trying to embed more Facebook touchpoint in the customer experience.
- With Facebook’s acquisition of Kustomer, it seems like they are trying to embed more Facebook touchpoints in the customer experience.
- With this, it may be possible to track buyer's activity through different channels like WhatsApp, Messenger, customer service, live chat widget and other communication.
- Facebook may also start embedding touchpoints and start having data that is gathered outside of this tendered Facebook funnel to prove relevancy at different stages of the customer journey in the long term.
- It's great to get more visibility on the funnel from Facebook.
- If you're on Ecommerce, it is one of the easiest channels to grow your business or scale your business using paid advertising.
Hey everybody, welcome to another episode of Unprepared. This is take number two, I lost my side of this adventure. The first time around showing you that I also make mistakes.
But anyway, today we're welcoming to the show Philippe from Gorgias. How are you doing today, Philippe?
I'm doing great. Thank you so much, Chase. Happy to do this remake with you.
Oh, absolutely. I mean, it's just an excuse to talk again. You know, maybe I lost it on purpose.
Yeah, I would have done the same.
Awesome. Awesome. So at the time before we touched a little bit on you guys getting some funding and then obviously we just had Black Friday, Cyber Monday happened.
You know, what's on your mind? What would you like to talk about today?
Wow. So just the last couple of weeks have been crazy in the Ecommerce SaaS space, merchants are crushing it all around.
So you've seen the numbers from Shopify, on average, it's about 85 to 90% up year on year on every market and you have other markets like Japan that's doing like 300% increase compared to last year.
And then on the software side, so one of our main competitors actually got acquired two days ago. So Kustomer with a K for a billion-dollar.
You have this morning news from ShipMonk, that is a great 3PL and logistic provider that just raised $290 million today like Klaviyo’s 200 mil or 4 billion valuations a couple of weeks ago.
There was so much movement right now in the space. If you're in Ecommerce, I mean, where to even start?
It's a crazy time to be alive and to be in that industry.
I'm so glad. It's literally Sean, my partner's, it's his fault, I guess. He pushed me into Ecommerce. He got me into this ecosystem.
And then we just dove headfirst and I mean, Gorgias was one of our first partners five years ago, and we were kind of new to space and we ran into each other in an event.
Absolutely. In New York, I remember exactly the day at Shopify Pursuit, it was called. And that's another story. Right?
So with the pandemic, the gross, the obvious growth channels of brands are being tested.
iOS, you know, restricting the Facebook Pixel in 2021. So Facebook gasping for air on how they will prove attribution.
Oh, I guarantee they figure some weird way to do the same thing in a different way.
Well, so if you want we can talk about that a little bit more precisely. And so we've been wondering what this actually the Facebook acquisition of Kustomer with a K meant?
And really, it seems like they're trying to embed more Facebook touchpoint in the customer experience.
So it's not just, if you're clicking on an ad and you're purchasing and so on, but also can they track?
Can they track buyer’s activity? Or, you know, online shoppers activity through WhatsApp communications, in messengers, through customer service, through a live chat widget that would not necessarily belong to them, or even through email communication?
So can they start embedding those touchpoints and start having data that is gathered outside of this tendered Facebook funnel in order to be able to prove relevancy at different stages of the customer journey in the long term?
So we take right now this is what it means. And it's great news. It's great news that we will get more visibility on the funnel from Facebook. And it's great news that we have one less competitor in the space as well.
Yeah, I think people have their opinion on Facebook and big data. But here's the thing: if you're on Ecommerce, it is one of the easiest channels, if you know what you're doing, to grow your business, to scale your business and hit that next level is going through paid advertising and Facebook changed the game with how they approached it.
And so without them, they pioneered a lot of cool stuff in the space. And I personally am excited to see what they're doing moving forward. It's technology, it's cool.
And now you're getting the abilities these days to opt-out of all this stuff.
But you know, at the end of the day, you're getting targeted usually for something that you probably want. So, you know, everyone can have their own opinion on it.
Absolutely. But I think yes, most Ecommerce merchants will tell you that the more accurate and the more data they gather on their journey through Facebook or Google or another provider, they would all jump if there were other providers to be able to provide that type of fragmented data on the customer journey. But obviously, there are some clear winners.
It's, unfortunately, another company, but at the same time, it's fueling a generation of entrepreneurs that are building their own online businesses because of that.
I think I read yesterday the lawsuits are being filed in America against Google and Facebook about antitrust. But that's a whole other conversation.
I want to make sure we have time though today to talk about Gorgias. What's new with Gorgias, the platform? How did you guys help your merchants through Black Friday and Cyber Monday success? And what's on the horizon?
Yeah. So on any given day, Gorgias supports about 12-13,000 customer service reps that are logging into the platform to do their task.
And yeah, during Black Friday, this went up to close to 20,000 customer service reps. So in the last two weeks, there's been almost twice the amount of reps that logged in the platform.
And I think, a lot of people have been, a lot of our clients were at the beginning or like on it doesn't make sense to not have a billing model that is per ticket versus per agent.
Yeah, so we're billing per ticket and most of our competitors are always asking for more money when an agent logs into the platform.
So I guess that when situations like COVID and Coronavirus come around and that the teams need to increase the number of agents rapidly without second-guessing all of their decisions.
It's very valuable for the merchants. So yeah, we saw about like 50% increase in tickets right now compared to a couple of weeks ago.
So there's a lot of activity happening on the platform and the things that we're gearing up for next year. So there's a couple of big pieces that we're working on.
And I would say that the most exciting one is transforming Gorgias into a platform through an app marketplace.
So we're currently building an app marketplace where we will have more developers come in and provide their own integrations and our own rented services through our own platform.
So you can imagine, for example, like a return platform. So you know, what the customer service team interacts with when they want to process a return for your client now having that type of native integration in Gorgias.
So all the return platforms that are in the Shopify ecosystem, you know, we're closely working with them in order to bring them on board and develop those new integrations to augment the potential that the agents can manage and Gorgias directly.
Oh, that's amazing right there. That's going to really help and it's not just the return.
So just off the top of my head, things I can think of that are really useful there would be like, if you haven't extended gift card functionality or if you've got a loyalty program, all of those being directly integrated with Gorgias, allowing your customer service reps full access to the data and being able to answer their question or offer them solutions quickly is the name of the game.
Right, so Rise.ai, you must know. So that's obviously one that we're looking at, for exactly that use case.
So how to generate custom gift cards in one click by the customer service agent from Gorgias while they are talking to the customer.
So not having to shuffle through different windows to change where you're operating really saves a lot of time and at the end of the day, how can we tweak always a little bit more the black box of which agents work in order to make this profession more efficient?
Yeah I mean, that's amazing. If there's some sort of customer service issue, having the ability to like, "Hey, we're sorry about that. Here's a $5 gift card just for you one click of a button".
That's usually gonna solve a lot of problems.
Phil, thank you so much for coming on the show today sharing those insights. If people are curious about Gorgias or they want to learn more about you what should they do?
But if you have any questions, just click on the link below and come and chat with us.